Friday 27 November 2020

Diary of a WikiTree Project Leader: Entry 1

Diary of a WikiTree Project Leader: Entry 1

27th November 2020

I am a Project Leader on wikitree and I lead the Germany Project. I wanted to start a diary of a leader post series and this is the first post. 

Firstly, my name is Kylie, I live in Australia, and I have been a Project Leader on wikitree for just over one year.

My day usually consists of firstly checking my emails. I receive a lot of emails that are wikitree related every day. Leaders on wikitree usually do a lot of behind the scenes work, meaning you may not see our names pop up a huge amount on wikitree, in G2G (the forum on wikitree) etc. But we answer a lot of emails. And work at things out of sight.

I receive emails from other leaders often who during their work on wikitree come across members working on German profiles, and need my advice on how to direct these members work. Wikitree has styles and standards, also guidelines, which make wikitree better than other websites. And new members often make unintentional mistakes, and with a bit of encouragement and guidance, are able to continue their work on wikitree whilst also following our rules. So I am the go to Germany related leader for any other leaders.

I appreciate them contacting me, so I can help them guide new members, because I am working on making Germany related content on wikitree consistent across the board. Each country has guidelines and style standards that while staying within wikitree's guidelines, also need to be unique to the country in question, because of different conventions, and sources available, etc.

Today I answered one such email from a fellow leader.

I also try to work on my personal profiles everyday that I am on wikitree also. This is so that my profiles will eventually all become great examples for wikitree, and also so that my own research does not ever stop. Genealogy and family history is never ending, there is always new resources becoming digitised and new places to research, so there is always new information to be added to existing profiles.

Today I worked on Charlotte Grainger and managed to add her mother Emma Carr who was not on wikitree. She now has a profile!

Those are just a very small number of tasks I did today, but good examples of wikitree work.

Look out for entry 2 coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atkins Jean Agnes (Nancy)

 ATKINS Jean Agnes (Nancy): Born: 8 April, 1935, Glasgow, Scotland. Passed away peacefully on 3 November 2018, at the Gracehaven Aged Care F...