Saturday 12 December 2020

WikiTree's Honor Code: Part 2

 I wrote a post recently called "WikiTree's Honor Code" which introduces my honor code series. You can catch up on the blog post where I covered point number 1 of the honor code here

Today I would like to cover number two!

Honor Code: Point Number 2 is... 

We care about accuracy. We're always aiming to improve upon our worldwide family tree and fix mistakes.

We care about accuracy. 
That means we do not make edits to profile information unless we are sure that we are adding or changing information on profiles if we are certain. We make sure we are certain by adding sources, and analysing records.

We also fix mistakes we see on profiles, such as editing typo's, fixing errors, adding sources, helping others.

Wikitree is also a great way for others to contact us. I sometimes receive emails from people who find the profile page for one of their ancestors, that I manage. They are emailing to let me know that I have incorrect information on the profile. 

I will follow up with them and ask for them to provide more detail and if they have sources to back up their information, for me to add to wikitree. And sometimes they provide enough detail for me to easily follow up research to check my information is wrong (which it often is) and I am able to provide sources for the new information I add or remove.

By signing the honor code you are pledging to want to work on profiles, and want profiles to be accurate. You are saying you are willing to contribute to maintaining accuracy, even if that means changing profiles as new information comes to light.

Subscribe to this blog so you don't miss the next post in this series....


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Atkins Jean Agnes (Nancy)

 ATKINS Jean Agnes (Nancy): Born: 8 April, 1935, Glasgow, Scotland. Passed away peacefully on 3 November 2018, at the Gracehaven Aged Care F...